It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
Danger Den extravaganza Danger Den extravaganza
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Danger Den extravaganza
Closed Thread

Old 20th December 2003, 16:44   #1
Liquid3D

Default Danger Den extravaganza

Hi guys (and girls) I wanted to share some pic's with everyone of my current rig, featuirng the Danger Den RBX with brass pate, Z-chipset block. These photo's may indicate why I get the temps I do. I live in a 100-yr old Stone building in Newport, RI USA. A few hundred meter's from the ocean, and harbor on each side, really keeps the stone cool. Being in a corner room, the window you see in the photo has a small window perpendicular from ensuring a constant air-flow.

Of course having the components external from the case, sitting on the cool floor, really helps. I recall there was a naysayer some time back criticizing my article on the Maze-4 powerkit. I think you'll see from these photo's this is not some wildly radical set-up as that person implied, in his attack, but an Enthusiast's answer to water-cooling. Certainly not self-contained, but as Enthusiasts, must we pack everything into a box? Perhaps this is where "thinking out of the box" becomes literal. I've simply taken advantage of some very basic principles/;aws of thermal dynamics. The floor being the coldest point as heat rises, and a stone building does accentuate this. It's ideal for placing the metal radiator on, wich then dissipates it's own heat to it. This is simply taking advantage of Fouriers Law, which claims that heat transfer is directional, and heat will always seek cold.

I'm not posting these pics to "show off" or anything like that. I beleive were here to share, and I'm sharing. I am wondering why my mobo-temp often ends up being higher then my CPU-temp? Ive eliminated the motherboard itself, as this has happened on two boards using the Z-chipset block. This leads me to two theories. First the water is so cold entering the CPU block, it's simply colder then the motherboard. Second; the temp diode on the Asus P4C800E-Deluxe actually measures the chipset? If it did the temps would not be abnormally low, because the Z-chipset block, is the first block fed in the system, CPU being fed from the Z-chipset outlet. Reason being is that my room is certainly not as cold as the motherbaord's diode is showing. At first I'd thought the room temp was the diode mobo temp, but I'd be seeing my breath if this were always true.

Old 20th December 2003, 16:46   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

room temp close to 10°C?? OMG.. how many layers of clothing are you wearing
Old 20th December 2003, 16:57   #3
Liquid3D

That's the whole thing my friend, it's certainly not 50F in here right now, because while it's definately cool enough to wear a thermal shirt, and pants, it's at least 67F.

I'm borrowing a digi-thermometer soon to measure the room temp regardless. Do you think the mobo temp diode measure the chipset?

Old 20th December 2003, 17:02   #4
Madshrimp

no, most mobo sensors are either located around the CPU socket area, some Abit mobo's have even 2 of them, the 2nd located at the bottom of the mobo (below the last PCI slot)

My TH7-II has 2 mobo sensors. Current readout:

CPU: 40.5°C
System1: 31°C
System2: 25°C

room temp is 23°C
Old 20th December 2003, 17:10   #5
Liquid3D

That discrepency isn't too wide between one of those sensors and the ambeint room temp? Maybe it's a little cooler in here then 67F it's probably 65F, but still there's a 10C differential? Here's the current CPUCool measurement.

Old 20th December 2003, 17:21   #6
Madshrimp

all your temps are in °C , beside the room temp

67F is how much in °C? 15?
Old 20th December 2003, 17:49   #7
Liquid3D

That's because Americans have been adopting the metric system for almost 36 years. It's taking quite awhile. I give Celius readings on my mobo, and CPU because I'm reading the program, but room temp is an extrapolation from those temps. Luckily for those not in the metric system yet, Asus Probe, stil provides both. CPUCool does as well. but not simultaneosly for dummies like me. Well 59F = 15C, so 67F ~ 21C I'd say

Old 20th December 2003, 17:55   #8
Liquid3D

Here's a cooler i was sent to review. You have this one don't you? I asked for twin 80mm Blaster fans to kick it in the ****!

Old 20th December 2003, 17:58   #9
Madshrimp

that one looks promising
Sata problem