Had to show some nudity for action
What do I need that's NOT included in this distro:
• Disk-partioning: Gparted
quickly add codec support/fonts/... (Thanks A-star)
• LAMP (included in Ubuntu server - edition)
Scan software: Xsane is included, works great if you change the resolution to 300dpi. Doesn't work with standard (150dpi) resolution.
Command line stuff takes some time to learn, vi-editor reminder: "a" to append (Esc to end), :w! to write, :q! to quit)
Boot errors (all solved): Unable to find swap space signature, CPU frequency scaling not supported, There are differences between boot sector and its backup and Superblock last write time is in the future.
The Gimp (image editing) has a very steep learning curveHard to swallow
NO GO, No matter how much VIAGRA
- Booting (blank screen after boot-up sequence), tried zillion things, spend hours trying to resolve this problem, replacing driver from "ati" to "vesa" (in xorg.conf) was the only workable solution. I tried all kind of things that made me understand the OS ... but didn't cure the problem.
Hours spend/lost: approximately 8 to 10
- Finally switched graphic cards (ATI Radeon All in Wonder 8500DV -> GeForce 7800GS) and all went well. This graphics card configuration problem should be solved in version 7.10: Gutsy Gibbons.
- Spend two hours at discovering how to resize an animated gif.
- Configuring 5-buttons on the mouse required editing configuration files manually and when you make a tiny typing error the system won't reboot.
- Couldn't get the spelling checker to function in Firefox.
- Google Maps en Google Pictures worked extremely slow
- You have to manually (g)edit /etc/fstab to mount/change partitions (mounting in /media). Playing around with partitions requires manual changes in fstab and Nautilus (sort order).
- Getting help is great, documentation is very straightforward, but i need to wade to truckloads of it.
- USB stays powered on after power down (Ubuntu bug). Altough it is almost Christmas, I was not amused by mouse- and keyboard-lights being "on" 24/24. Hope this bug disappeared together with the launch of Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon.
- IE compatibility (have 1 (government) site that only works in IE)
- Compatibility: Citrix and .asp website not working
- Gave up on label printing (business cards)
- Couldn't find a user-friendly solution for .pdf creation, merger, scanning, editing, exporting, ...