First Night TogetherInserting
After 5 minutes you are greeted with a completely functional Live CD version OS. You have to run through 7 steps to install the OS. All are extremely easy, apart from step 4 where you have to choose a partition where the OS will be installed. Just that crucial step is confusing if you would like to manually choose a partition. I couldn't find an option to confirm my actions (deleting a partition and formatting). Clicking back and fourth between steps didn't enlighten me at all.
Kind of a bummer not getting it up on your first night together. Luckily I had some X-rated stuff in the form of an Ubuntu 5 installer disk to prepare the partitions. After that I reinstalled 7.04, without any problems at all.
Is that a mighty packed software package in your pocket or are you happy to see me?
- Open Office 2.2 (been using this in Windows since a long time)
- Firefox browser 220.127.116.11
- File explorer: Nautilus (very native explorer)
- Email: Evolution (best client i ever had)
- Zip unzip: native archiver in Nautilus
- FTP-client: included via locations, choose "connect to server", upon connection included in Nautilus
- Movie player: Totem
- Music player: Rhythmbox
- Image manipulation: Gimp
- CD and DVD recording: included in Nautilus you get prompted upon entering an empty disk
- Printer drivers, adding my HP 960C was very easy and no extra disks/drivers needed
- RealVNC: included, use Terminal Server Client, select vnc
- Torrent client
- Text editor (+ PHP / HTML): Gedit
Of course there's a lot more, but I only mentioned things I actually need.