The system arrived pre-installed with Windows XP as was requested, the optional 1gb DDR2 stick and 8600 GT VGA were also installed. Once in Windows we loaded up CPU-Z to get an idea of the CPU speed we are dealing with:
At 2400Mhz the AMD Athlon 64 CPU is far from slow and raw CPU tests will turn out favorable, do note that this is not an X2 AMD CPU, so only 1 core. With more software taking advantage of dual core systems, a future upgrade to an X2 CPU would further increase performance.
The DDR2 memory is running at relaxed timings at PC2-6400 speed, this is value ram after all:
We delved into the BIOS options, increase vcore slightly to 1.45v and started increasing the FSB until the system became unstable, then we lowered it again until we could successfully complete our benchmarks without issue. We did not change the default AMD heatsink, so more can be had if we opted to install a 3rd party heatsink. With the current configuration we got a free 300Mhz:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Overclocked to 2700Mhz
The memory was now running at higher speed without trouble: